Looking to discover some delicious new recipes to feed your cravings? I was offered a review copy of My Recipes, America’s Favorite Food. Read on because you could win a copy, too. This is a collection of favorite 200 recipes from magazines, such as: All You, Cooking Light, Health, Real Simple, Southern Living, and Sunset. Not only does it have some recipes that really are popular crowd-pleasers but the book has a modern technological twist, too. The twist could make it extremely helpful for those of us who are culinarily (is that a word? It is now!) challenged or who want to make something yummy and don’t know exactly the best way to butterfly something or perform another kitchen technique.
Scan-It / Cook-It
If you’ve got a smartphone, you can download, for free, the Digimarc app which will let you scan, with your camera, for help on specific recipes. Not every recipe in the cookbook has this feature but quite a few do. The first one I looked at, for instance, was for a recipe for Coconut Shrimp with Maui Mustard Sauce. By scanning the photo on the page, I got connected with a video that helps you learn how to peel and butterfly shrimp.
The app was easy to find in my app store. The app itself, however, didn’t seem 100% iPhone friendly. The text I was taken to was small and didn’t fit my iPhone screen fully. I had to do a bit of scrolling to see the whole page. I clicked the video play button and the video was full screen and very helpful.
Vivid Photos and Helpful Icons
The book offers a lot of colourful photographs with helpful symbols to give you some info about the recipe(such as ‘low calorie, slow cooker, kid-friendly,gluten-free, under 30 minutes, and so on).
Some of the recipes I am drooling over include:
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip – I often enjoy this in a restaurant and wax lyrical about how dangerous it would be if I learned to make it at home
- Smoked Turkey Lentil Soup – Thanksgiving is coming and why not have another recipe in your arsenal to make eating turkey for a week straight more palatable?
- Buttermilk Chicken Tenders – a Great Kid-Friendly favourite
- Grilled Cilantro Chicken with Pickled Tomato and Avocado Salsa – This graces the front cover and made me salivate. (Take a look at it on the photo below)
- There’s also a dessert section with some adorable-looking pumpkin cheesecake bars that are garnished with cute whipped cream ghosts (omnomnom…I bite your head off!). This could make for a fun halloween cooking project!
Anyway… there is a great variety of meals, appetizers, and beverages in the book.
Want to buy it or learn more about it? Check it out on Amazon. You can buy it for Kindle, too.
Free Cookbook Drawing:
We’re giving away a copy! Please tweet this post and then comment with your Twitter username for verification. I will draw a random winner from commenters two weeks from today, on October 17th. The winner will be contacted by me by email address (please include a valid one!) to notify you that I will be supplying your contact details to the publisher who will arrange to ship your free copy directly to you. If I don’t get a confirmation by the first winner within 24 hours of contact, I will choose an alternate winner.